Note: I have not aimed to rework each metaphor within the Psalm but to rework the overall metaphor – David was a shepherd so he aimed to understand the way the Lord related to him as he cared for his sheep. I lead and manage projects and project teams and in my version I am aiming to understand the way the Lord cares for me by understanding the way I care for the project teams I run.
A psalm of David
- The Lord is my leader – I have all the support I need.
- He / she sets me stretching but achievable goals that allow me to feel challenged and expects me to switch off and rest when it is time.
- He / she gives me a clear brief and timeline for my work so that I can achieve my goals and feel fulfilled. Under his / her leadership, teams work well together, allowing each of us to contribute our best.
- Even when there is conflict or I feel that I am failing in my responsibilities, you get alongside me and support me, so I do not get unnecessarily stressed. Your honest feedback and your practical advice provide guidance and reassurance.
- And when I have delivered an important outcome, you give me the opportunity to receive the credit I deserve. You thank me by recognising my hard work and you praise me for what I have achieved. As a consequence, I am confident and have a strong sense of self-worth.
- The care and goodwill you have for me will stay with me whatever comes in the future and I will live in the Lord’s presence forever.
© 2021 Andrew W. Kearns All Rights Reserved