Asaph wrote this psalm and gave it to Jeduthun, the choir director, to arrange for the choir to sing.
- I am so desperate for the Creator to respond, that I am raising my voice so my pleas will be heard.
- Hardships were coming at me from every side and I needed help from the Boss. Sleep eluded me at night and so I stayed awake pleading with him / her, but I found no consolation.
- My thoughts are continually turning to the Creator and I yearn to have his / her help.
- I can’t find any peace, especially at night. I can’t even focus my mind on imploring you to help.
- I think back to the times when you seemed so close but all that seems a life time ago.
- In those days, my heart would be filled with songs of praise, even when waking at night. Where did it all go wrong? I can’t seem to find an answer.
- Has the Boss turned his / her back on me for ever? Will he / she ever be kind-hearted to me again?
- Has his / her inexhaustible love been withdrawn from me? What of his / her undertakings – have they been revoked for all time?
- Has my God lost sight of being considerate to me? Have I lost my place in his / her heart of love?
- I concluded that if the Greatest-of-all-Time had turned his / her back on me, then my destiny is set.
- But then I began to think back over my life and to remember all the care you have showered on me and the amazing things you have done for your followers.
- The more I thought in this way, the more my mind became preoccupied with all the things that you have done.
- My Creator, your purposes and actions are always sacred. In faith, people follow many other leaders but none of them is as immense as you.
- You are my God who does awesome things which take our breath away. You prove how powerful you are to all people.
- You, yourself take action to liberate your followers, saving them from eternal ignominy and bringing them into your family.
- Our Creator, when you challenged death, the sky turned black in the middle of the day.
- The earth shook, rocks cracked open and the dead returned to life.
- Jesus, your liberator, walked out of the grave, bringing fear to those who would have kept him dead and returning hope to those who followed him.
- You broke the religious divide between you and people, giving the opportunity to everyone to be your child.
- You call those who commit themselves to you, your followers and your children. You give them your Spirit to be their leader and guardian.
© 2021 Andrew W. Kearns All Rights Reserved